Do you want to learn how to dance Rumba easily?
Before you can know how to dance rumba, you need to know what it means. Rumba can be used to describe many dance styles and music. They originate from the same place as the merged dance styles from the Spanish colonizers found in Cuba and the dance music styles by the Africans who introduced it in Cuba as slaves. Today, Rumba is used to describe the ballroom dance that was adapted from an ancient dance style by Cubans.
Step 1: Rumba Dance Basics
Rumba is a romantic and passionate dance, which is performed with a lot of hip movement while flirting:-
- The dancing partners usually maintain a firm eye contact.
- In Rumba, the upper side of the body is kept relatively still in comparison to the lower side of the body.
- The rhythm used in Rumba is the quick-quick-slow.
- The Rumba music tempo is approximately one hundred beats in a minute.
- The leading partner usually places the right hand on the waist of the partner and the left hand holds the partner’s hand.
- The other partner who is following places the left hand on the shoulder of the partner and the right hand is let to hold the partner’s hand.
Step 2: The Leader’s Basic Steps
Traditionally, the man who is the leader leads the partner throughout the dance. Be direct and confident in your steps so that the other partner can follow your lead easily. To learn how to dance rumba as a leader, you should apply the following steps:-
- Step 2 feet towards the left side
- The right foot should follow.
- Use the left foot to step 2 feet forward.
- Use the right foot to follow and thereafter step 2 feet towards the right side using the right foot (this is a single continuous step.
- The left feet should then follow
- You should step two feet backwards using the right foot
- Use the left feet to follow on.
Step 3: The Follower’s Basic Steps
The woman, who traditionally is the follower, dances while following the steps made by the leader. This is of grave importance and should be followed even if your partner happens to make a mistake. Do not start moving in your direction, instead, you should follow the leading partner, who hopefully will be able to correct steps. The following steps should be used for the follower to know how to dance Rumba:-
- You should make a forward step whenever your partner makes a backward step.
- Make a backward step if your partner makes a forward step.
- You should always follow the movements of your partner
Step 4: After Basics
After learning the standard steps and basic style of rumba, the time has come to practice:-
- To get detailed instructions, you should consider purchasing or renting videos for dance instructions or signing yourself up in a rumba dance class.
- Rumba movements comprise of several steps. There are a number which are applied in the mainstream dancing of rumba while there are some due to their level of complication that can only be performed in competitions and at advanced levels of rumba dancing.
It is essential to learn the basic steps when getting to understand rumba as a ballroom dance. However, it is important for you to understand dance style as well as learn how to listen to music closely and be able to follow the rhythm if you want to know how to dance rumba well.